As many of you know, we get a chance to meet authors from all walks of life and in many genres. Fellow Author Carole P. Roman introduced me to Ben and Sam a few weeks ago and I’m so glad she did. Ben and Sam are a husband-wife writing/publishing team (love that) who have the funniest children’s book series I’ve read in years. I asked Ben to sit down with me for an interview. He agreed and he sure to check out their new release, The Day My Fart Followed Me To Hockey. Take it away, Ben:
- What is your writing process?
My writing process is pretty unorganized! I came from an average background without much formal schooling. I like to think of an idea and then just start writing and see where it takes me.
- Do you have any odd writing habits?
I love watching Netflix or movies! I know a lot of writers probably like to relax somewhere quiet without any distraction, but I think that would drive me nuts. I do like to look out of my window and see the beach while I write.
- What book do you wish you could have written?
A popular one! Or twenty ha ha.
- Just as your books inspire authors, what authors have inspired you?
Wilbur Smith, Leon Uris, and Bernard Cornwall. One author that has personally helped me out and inspired me to really strive to push my books is Carole P. Roman.
- If you could cast your characters in the Hollywood adaptation of your book, who would play your characters?
I haven’t really thought of this one. I’d like Selena Gomez to play the lead female roll, and probably Brad Pitt. He plays a gritty hero pretty well.
- How important are names to you in your books? Do you choose the names based on liking the way it sounds or the meaning?
I like to choose names of people I know. Whenever I write for other authors I always try to slip in the names of my friends and family.
- What do you consider to be your best accomplishment?
Hmm, my kids book which I wrote with my wife, Sam Lawrence, The Day My Fart Followed Me To Hockey has been my most successful book so far.
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Hopefully still writing, living off my books royalties and laying on a tropical beach with my wife.
- Have you always liked to write?
Yes, and I’ve always loved to read since I was very young.
- What writing advice do you have for other aspiring authors?
Just keep writing and for as long as you spend writing, spend an equal amount of time marketing.
- If you didn’t like writing books, what would you do for a living?
Well, my books aren’t paying all the bills. By day I’m a welder that specializes in aluminum welding.
- Are you a plotter or a pantster?
- Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad?
I read them all. I would love to respond to them all, but I have only ever responded to ones which were in regards to technical or printing problems. I take what I can from reviews, take a deep breath and move on.
- What is your best marketing tip?
Market, market, promote, beg, and market some more.
- What is your least favorite part of the publishing / writing process?
Marketing! Proofreading and beta reading lol.
- Is there one subject you would never write about as an author? What is it?
There’s lots. I like to write about things which I have experience in and things that I’m interested in. I have turned down a lot of offers to write romance books as I just don’t know if I could swing it.
- Do you have a favorite spot to write? What is it?
Just in front of my TV. I can look out the window or watch Netflix.
- Is there a certain type of scene that’s harder for you to write than others? Love? Action? Racy?
Love and Racy for sure.
- Is this your first book? How many books have you written prior (if any?)
I have written several non-fiction books, a fiction book and several children’s books.
- What are you working on now? What is your next project?
My next children’s book, and thinking of another project.
And now for something more personal about Ben…
- Do you write naked?
Umm, no. That would be horrifying for everybody.
- What is your biggest failure?
Not winning the lotto.
- What is the biggest fib you’ve ever told?
Well, it wouldn’t be good if I let the truth slip out now!
- Have you ever been in trouble with the law?
Only once, it wasn’t much fun. I was young and silly.
- Have you ever gotten into a fight?
Yep. Not much fun there either.
- Do you drink? Smoke? What’s your vice?
I like bourbon whiskey and cola. Used to smoke, but now I use a vaporizer instead.
- What is your biggest fear?
Spiders, and not a huge fan of confined spaces.
- What do you want your tombstone to say?
Buy my book!
- If you had a superpower, what would it be?
I don’t know. Probably just the same as Captain America, Deadpool or Thor.
- If you were a super hero, what would your name be? What costume would you wear?
I like anti-heroes. Probably something similar to Deadpool.
- Where is one place you want to visit that you haven’t been before?
- If you were an animal, what would you be and why?
Eagle. For sure a massive eagle like the Sea Eagle so that I could just cruise around all day.
- Do you have any scars? What are they from?
Lots! Too many to list, stiches in my arm from a fall, staples in my head from a fight, and about a hundred scars from burns, scratches and cuts while working with power tools.
- What do you dream? Do you have any recurring dreams/nightmares?
I have recurring nightmares that have been with me for as long as I remember. They always end up the same and I can almost workout I’m in a dream while I’m sleeping.
Title – The Day My Fart Followed Me To Hockey
Authors – Ben Jackson and Sam Lawrence
Category – Children’s Book, Hockey
Publisher – Indie Publishing Group – http://www.indiepublishinggroup.com/
Book Blurb –
Timmy and his best friend the Fart are back again!
If you and your child love to read together, then you are going to love reading along with Timmy and his Fart as they play hockey together!
The Day My Fart Followed Me To Hockey is a beautifully illustrated journey of Timmy and his best friend the Little Fart as they attend Timmy’s first hockey tryouts. Chaos and laughter ensue as the Fart attempts to help out his best friend the only way he knows how.
If you enjoy reading funny books with beautiful illustrations and love having your child read along with you, then make sure you grab The Day My Fart Followed Me To Hockey.
Discover and giggle along with Timmy and his best friend on their exciting day at the hockey arena!
Buy Link –
Author Biography –
Ben lives in Tasmania, Australia. While working during the week as a Boiler Maker/Welder, specializing in Aluminum Welding, he also writes of a night as a Freelance Writer and Author.
Ben is in a Long Distance Relationship with his wife Sam, who lives in Canada, she works as a full-time formatting professional, publisher, and author.
Be sure to check out all of his books, there is definitely something there for everyone!
As Indie Authors, we rely on our valuable customers to write a review, if you could spare a minute to leave a review of one of our books, we would greatly appreciate it.
He has numerous books in progress so stay tuned for information on those by following this page, connecting with him on Facebook or Goodreads.
Remember, if you enjoyed one of his books, leave a review!