Hi, I am Stef Smulders, a Dutch expat living in Italy with husband and doggie since 2008, where we have a bed and breakfast. Even after 10 years I can still hardly believe we did it, packing up our things and … go! Well, there were some nasty surprises along the way we had never expected but we survived. And we are still happy we did it. We love the area where we live, the Oltrepò Pavese wine region, south of Milan in Lombardy. We like the people, most of them at least (exit real estate guy). The food and the wine are fantastic, the landscape still amazes us and the climate, wow, summer sunshine from May till October!
You can read about our expat adventure in my book and on my blog. Or come and visit us! You are always welcome.
Get a taste of Italy in Stef’s brand new English Blog: http://italiaanse-toestanden.duepadroni.it/living-italy-expat
Sign up for newsletter: http://eepurl.com/c4Ebu5
Follow on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Stef-Smulders/e/B00OPVPTSS
Living in Italy: the Real Deal
Non-fiction, memoir, travelogue
Would you dare to follow your dream and move or retire to Italy? Stef & Nico did, although their dog Sara had her doubts. Now from your comfortable armchair you can share in the hilarious & horrendous adventures they experienced when they moved to Italy to start a bed and breakfast.
For lovers of amusing travelogue memoirs who like a good laugh. And for those interested in practical advice on how to buy a house in Italy there is useful information along the way, pleasantly presented within the short stories.
Glossary of Italian words included! Learn the true meaning of Italian phrases and expressions like “non ci sono problemi“, “di fiducia“, “persone serie“, “tutto a norma” and many more. Learn a bit of the foreign language before going to Italy.
- Reader Views 2016/17 Literary Awards Winner
- Readers Favorite 2017 Award Winner Travel category
- Eric Hoffer Award Finalist
- 2017 ELIT Award Winner Travel category
- IAN Book of the Year Finalist Travel & Humor/Comedy/Satire categories
- New York & Amsterdam Book Festival Honourable Mentions
- “a comical, often downright hilarious account” Reader’s Favorite Review ☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
- “Smulders’ storytelling artistry is wildly entertaining” Blogcritics/Reader Views ☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
- “Stef Smulders … does what a good writer does: He writes what he observes and leaves the judgement to you, the reader. No constant bellyaching from Mr. Smulders. I like that. I really like that.” James Martin, Italy expert, wanderingitaly.com
- “Fantastico! I am a tough critic and have nothing but kudos for this book. Buy this book!!” Elliana on Amazon
- “There is more of the flavor of Italy in this book than in … Frances Mayes’ ‘Under the Tuscan Sun’” Amazon review by Grady Harp HALL OF FAME TOP 100
- “Now I can add Stef Smulders to the list of my favorite expat authors” N.N. Light
For lovers of books like
- Michelle Damiani’s Il Bel Centro
- Katherine Wilson’s Only in Naples
- Tim Parks’ Italian Ways & Italian Neighbours
- Frances Mayes’ Under the Tuscan Sun & Bella Tuscany
- Gerald Durrell’s Corfu Trilogy
- Bill Bryson’s Neither Here Nor There & The Road to Little Dribbling
“When we bought our home nine months ago it was ready to move into. And now?
We are shipwrecked in the kitchen of the downstairs apartment. A single sheet of plastic between the hall and the sitting room is the only thing that protects us from the heavy dust of the building site. All day, we are assaulted by the sound of workmen shouting, drilling and hammering. A couple of hours ago the electricity cut out and it’s starting to get chilly in here. Every evening we escape upstairs via the dusty, grimy staircase, where we try to find solace by watching TV in our future living room. The living room is also separated by a sheet of plastic from the kitchen, the bedroom and the office. There are gaping holes in the walls in all of these three rooms, made weeks ago in preparation for the doors and a new window. Now they are serving as tunnels bringing in the draught and the cold. Exhausted and numbed from the endless turmoil surrounding us, we are staring out into space in silence. We are hardly aware of what’s on the screen.
Get a Sneak Peek (30% of the book) for only 99 Cents https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0755YX64C/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1
Barnes and Noble http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/2940153504599
Stef is a Dutch expat who moved to Italy in 2008, accompanied by his husband and dog, to start their bed and breakfast Villa I Due Padroni in the Oltrepo Pavese wine region, just 50 km (30 miles) south of Milan. In 2014 Stef published his first book (in Dutch) about their life in Italy. The English translation is available from November 2016 as “Living in Italy: the Real Deal – How to survive the Good Life” and has had raving reviews from editorial websites and readers alike.
Social Media Links